JEFFREY L. DECKER - PROTECTING YOUR HOME AND FAMILY
CHIMNEY SWEEP AND HEARTH PROFESSIONAL OF CT MA AND RI
 
Creosote and Chimney Care
 
 
 
 
 
 
One of the dangers of not maintaining a fireplace/chimney is a chimney fire. One related cause is from creosote buildup. Creosote is the residue from unburned products that is left inside of the chimney. This is a natural by-product of wood burning. Essentially, no chimney is immune to creosote.
 
 
There are 3 different levels of creosote:
 
 
 
1. A light soot covering the inside walls of the chimney
 
2. A gel like substance
 
 
3. A hardened black glazed buildup that is plastered on the
    inside walls of a chimney (requires professional removal)
 
     
The best practices are:
 
1. Have your chimney checked annually for the
   development of creosote to maintain a CLEAN FIREPLACE.
 
2. Burn only seasoned wood
 
3. Make sure there is enough ventilation running through
    the fireplace area
 
4. Maintain a high temperature while burning the wood
 
 
*MOST IMPORTANTLY: MAINTAIN A CLEAN FIREPLACE*
 
Other hazards, other than creosote, to watch out for are animals residing within the chimney as well as any cracks (from mortar breakage) along the chimney. All of these hazards can be prevented with proper chimney inspections, maintenance, and repairs.
 
 
 
THINGS TO DO IF YOU HAVE A CHIMNEY FIRE
 
 
 
1. Get everyone out of the house
 
 
2. Call the fire department
 
 
3. Do not close the damper of any wood stove or fireplace
 
 
4. Close all doors and vents/air inlets to fireplace/wood stove
 
 
5. If you see flames at the top of chimney, if possible, hose
     down the roof and not the chimney. Water on a
     flaming chimney will break it down.
 
6. Call a chimney sweep before using the chimney again.
 
For more information on creosote click on site below:
 
 
 
Call Jeffrey L. Decker today for all your chimney needs. 
 
 1-860-774-0462
anytime
 
 
 Working Together to Protect Your Home and Family
 
Website provided by  Vistaprint
Website
provided by Vistaprint